World Cancer Day 2022: Can specific lifestyle changes help you avoid cancer? Numerous studies aiming to answer this question have discovered that the majority of cancer cases are caused by lifestyle and environment, with only a small percentage due to genetic flaws, implying that the disease is controllable to a great extent.
Some of the variables that can increase cancer risk include cigarette smoking, a poor diet that includes fried foods and red meat, alcohol, sun exposure, environmental pollution, infections, stress, obesity, and physical inactivity.
Every year on February 4th, the globe commemorates World Cancer Day to raise awareness about the devastating disease.
“Cancer was once a relatively unknown disease, but it now claims the lives of more people than any other pandemic. What has gone wrong, despite several medical breakthroughs? lifestyle We’ve strayed too far from our roots and fundamentals. Food has grown more refined, adulterated, packaged, and re-engineered as a result of increased processing, refinement, and adulteration. As a result, along with exercise, quality sleep, and emotional health, diet is one of the most important controllable factors in cancer development and prevention. ” Founder of YouCare-All about YOU by Luke Coutinho, Holistic Nutrition and Lifestyle – Integrative and Lifestyle Medicine.
Some foods have been scientifically proven to have anti-cancer qualities and to provide benefits for cancer prevention, rehabilitation, and management. Coutinho recommends five foods that can help reduce cancer risk.
1. Loose green tea leaves of high quality:The more we learn about green tea’s role in cancer prevention and management, the more powerful it appears to be. Green tea includes the antioxidant EGCG, which can aid in the battle against free radicals and inflammation. They also aid in the prevention of cellular damage.
2. Mushrooms: The benefits of mushrooms for cancer have been supported by several scientific journals and upcoming medicinal research. Mushrooms are also included in many functional medicine supplements for the same reason. Mushrooms are high in anti-inflammatory properties. It deprives cancers of the fuel required to function. Inflammation can be reduced by increasing antioxidant levels, which can benefit the healing, recovery, and remission of cancer and other inflammatory disorders. When your immune system is weakened, immunomodulators can help you stay healthy. Mushrooms also aid in the protection of DNA.
3. Cruciferous vegetables: Sulforaphane, antioxidants, and choline are abundant in cruciferous vegetables. If you aren’t allergic to it, just a bit of a day would suffice. It is the most potent immune-boosting and the anticancer vegetable group that has been professionally examined. Just make sure they’re cooked thoroughly. Kale, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, mustard greens and seeds, and radish are examples of such vegetables.
4. Apigenin-rich foods: Any food containing apigenin, a compound that has been studied for its beneficial effects on cancers of the breast, prostate, lung, skin, and colon, is a well-researched ingredient. Apples, cherries, grapes, celery, parsley, chamomile tea, top-quality red wine, and basil (Pesto, anyone?) contain apigenin.
5. Kiwis: Kiwis have superhuman abilities. It is high in vitamin C and has an important function in DNA repair, making it an important food to eat during chemotherapy and radiation. Does this imply that if you consume all of the aforementioned foods, your cancer will be cured? No, I’m afraid. However, when it comes to preventing any disease, including cancer, your nutrition is critical.
Foods to avoid according to the expert, the immune system plays a crucial role when it comes to cancer prevention and control. Foods that can weaken your immunity should be avoided. For cancer prevention, refined sugar, inflammatory foods, artificial colors, and processed oils must be avoided.